A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I am leaking a clear fluid from the back of my leg. there is

I am leaking a clear fluid from the back of my leg. there is no cut,no sore spot, nothing to indicate any injury. What can it be?

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. How old are you? What medical problems do you have (high blood pressure, heart failure, kidney problems, poor circulation)? What medications do you take.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am 66 years okd. I have high blood pressure, emphysema, kidney problems. I am on meidation for all of these. I take Theo 24 300mg,clonidine .2mg, furosimide 20mg,advair 500/50,fluticasone, verapimil 240mg,allopurinal 100mg,trazadone 100mg, lisinopri; 5mg, singular 10mg.

Thanks for the additional information. Veins in the legs are equipped with valves that help keep the blood from "falling" back to the feet instead of moving towards the heart where it can be re-oxygenated and go through the body in the arteries. Sometimes these veins are faulty, resulting in pooled blood in the extremities. Fluid can leak out of the blood through the skin causing weeping. If it gets really bad ulcers can form, called stasis ulcers (related to the word "static" as in "the blood is not going anywhere"). The overall condition is called chronic venous insufficiency (CVI), and varicose veins may or may not be part of the picture.

Conservative treatment is elevating the legs and wearing compression stockings. More agressive treatment can involve sclerotherapy, ablation, and bypass. Here are some links that tell more about the condition and treatment.