Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

When I try to lift my leg/knee, my back (lower back & buttocks)

When I try to lift my leg/knee, my back (lower back & buttocks) hurts. I can swing my leg to the side with no pain, swinging my leg to the front or back causes just a little discomfort. Stepping up is very painful. Do I have a pulled muscle? Or is this a hip problem? What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Do both your buttocks hurt?

Does the pain go down the back of the leg?

How long has this been going on, and how did it start?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Pain in only one buttock, does not go down back of leg. Started Friday night - may have been due to bending over to pickup something. I have been stiff in the hips for a long time, and bending down is very awkward.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
This sounds more like a possible nerve that is irritated, rather than muscle related, since you have some pain in the back and the buttock, with pain even while sitting (and not moving), and that motions of the leg to the side don't irritate it (whereas motions that flex the hip cause the pain).

Of course, it could be pain related to the muscles in the area, such as the gluteus medius or piriformis, or others that are a strain type injury. It could also be irritation of the lumbar/sacral nerves from the back. In either case, the pains from each do get better over the course of a couple to a few weeks.

Should it not, then a examination by a doctor and further imaging depending on the results (MRI of the lumbar spine or xrays/MRIs of the hip) may be ordered. You are doing the correct things, stretching, heat, ibuprofen, to get over this pain. If the pain is unbearable, then seeing a doctor sooner is better to get this evaluated.