A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Can a man get Genital herpes from a woman giving him oral sex

Customer Question

Can a man get Genital herpes from a woman giving him oral sex (with no condom) if she has been exposed to the disease?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. If the woman has an HSV-2 (genital herpes) infection in her mouth then she can spread it to the man. Likewise, if he has a genital herpes infection in his mouth or on his genitals, he can spread it to her. If anyone has a HSV-1 (oral herpes/fever blister) on his or her mouth, they can also spread that to the genitals of another person.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What if the woman has no sores or symptoms in her mouth, can she pass it on just through saliva if she does have it during an out break or not?
She doesn't have to have sores in her mouth, but if she does, she is more likely to pass it along. Just like genital herpes in the genital area, you don't have to have an outbreak to be contagious.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, I just want to be clear...If she has the HSV-2 virus in her body...she can pass it on to someone through Saliva? (Or orally)...and does that include sharing a cup or eating utensil?

No. It isn't passed through saliva, it is passed from oral lesions, or touching the oral mucosa. You can read more about it here.

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_questions.cfm

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok. thanks so much...I'm not quite as worried now...My b/f has been involved with a shady character...
Glad I could help. It can get confusing talking about the two very closely related types of herpes.