Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

up one morning with incredibly itchy breast that lasted over a month

About three months ago I woke up one morning with incredibly itchy breast that lasted over a month. It was unbareable. I have a lot of allergies so at first I thought it was just a reaction. It looked like I had welts, they were fairly large patches of red, inflammed skin, but not raised. I tried everything, allergy meds, allergy creams and nothing seemed to help. The skin did start to flake temporarily, but not very much. The only time the itch went away is if I doused in Bio-Oil to moisten the skin. It is now 5 months later and the skin has become really thick, the texture has changed, it looks like I have some bruises that dont go away and I still have occasional severe itching. Where the red, infammed skin used to be I now have dark patches.
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

Hello Cindi,

I don't want to scare you but that could be a skin of breast cancer.

You need to have that checked right away and get a mammogram and or breast ultrasound.

Changes in skin color and or texture can be a sign of cancer.

You can also try putting some aquaphor on the area and try to leave your bra off as much as possible but please call your doctor asap.

Best Wishes to you Cindi,