Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist

having chest pressure mainly when bending over or getting up.

Customer Question

having chest pressure mainly when bending over or getting up. feels like i need to rub the chest muscles. Have had blook pressure checked and was high and am on bp meds. Had ekg and was normal. It does bother just a little with deep breaths. mainly acute pressure when leaning over across chest.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 8 years ago.

Does it help if you remin seated upright or sleep in a propped up position?

Does it wary with meals ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it mainly bothers when changing positions from sitting to standing or worse when bending over at the waist not as bad when lying down. it does not vary with meals.

I think these might be symptoms of GERD, (Gastro Esophegeal Reflux Disease.

In this there is a reflux of the stomach acid into the lower part of the food pipe due to a lax valve in the lower esophagus (food pipe).

This explains why you have the chest pain when you bend over your waist.

Another cause can be a muscular injury at the time of the accident, this could have caused a tear of the intercostal muscles ( small muscles between ribs ) and thus the pain on movement.

Please consult your primary care doctor to differentiate between these.

GERD would require medicines like Pantop - D, (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) while muscle fiber injury would require rest and pain medicines to heal.

I hope this answer helps you.

Kindest Regards,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

with the gerd would it bother not only when bending over but getting up from a seated position, without biending over. could this also be brought on by a trauma and slowly develop..There is also point tenderness in the mid back on the right about a half dollar size just lateral to the spine where the ribs connect. but it only is tender when touched and does not radiate around to the front.

This could be an old trauma that is now manifesting as an ache on movement.

A GERD would mainly ache when you bend over because of the acid reflux.

The tender spot in your mid back region points more towards a trauma as a possible cause.

I hope this helps you.