Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

How long does nicotine stay in your body after you have quit

How long does nicotine stay in your body after you have quit smoking?
Customer

It usually takes up to 10 days after stopping for your body to get rid of the nicotine. It all depends on your metabolism, how much tobacco you have used, and hydration. There is nothing that can be done to flush it out of your system any sooner- only time. Most withdrawal symptoms subside in 3 to 4 weeks, except for the craving and hunger, which may persist for months.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So if I have to be tested prior to 10 days after quit smoking there may be a chance it will come back negative?? I don't won't to tell them I quit smoking and then my test comes back positive, they will think I am lying and not hire me. Can the test show positive for nicotine obtained from smoking a couple of weeks ago but also show them I haven't smoked in a couple of weeks?? Does that make sense?
Customer

A test doesn't show how long ago you had smoked. What you can do is go to your local drug store and pick up a test kit to see where you stand, but typically it can take up to 10 days- this is variable person to person, and depends on your metabolism. I would also try and steer clear of anyone that smokes, as this can also cause a test to be positive.