sarahfnp-bc
sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.
8719088

Should I be concerned if my blood pressure is 142/83 in my

Customer Question

Should I be concerned if my blood pressure is 142/83 in my right arm and 122/73 in the left one? Should there be such a drastic difference between both arms? I am taking Coreg CR; my medical provider wants to try another Beta Blocker.
Category: Health
Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

I guess I have a couple of questions for you first. It is quite a difference betwwen both arms. So I am inclined to believe it is a techinal error of some kind. It's not a hugely concerning difference overall however. Both readings are pretty much within the normal range. But 142/83 may require a medication change and 122/73 does not. So it would be nice to find the "real" number.

Are you taking your blood pressure with an automatic or manual cuff?
Is it an appropriate size for both your arms? Are you using a regular adult size?
When you took both readings were you sitting with legs flat on floor?
How far apart were the readings? Did you take one right after the other?

Let me know!

Sarah
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A wrist cuff was used. I replaced the battery. Both feet is on the floor. I took continous readings.
<p>Hey Bill,</p><p> </p><p>Thanks for the info. Sorry about the delay in my response. For some reason my computer dumped me after I "answered" you. So I will have to write it again here...</p><p> </p><p>Personally I do not like the wrist cuffs. Their sensitivity is very high. That is they can fluctuate widely with movement, tremors, and placement. That is taken next to your heart vs arm on the table can produce very different readings. FYI with wrist cuffs they should be held up next to the heart.</p><p> </p><p>That being said I'm not sure I believe the difference in readings. Especially with your bottom number as it is a more stable number most of the time. Pharmacists can take your blood pressure. I would either ask your pharmacist or invest in an arm cuff. </p><p> </p><p>The other thing is monitor your symptoms. Can you feel when you're high? Although this is not a failsafe way to monitor blood pressure it can help be an indicator.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Again I apologize for the delay. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is I don't believe the differences in readings. I would strongly suggest taking it with a diffrent type of cuff first.</p>