Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK

sudden onset numbness and paralysis of right hand, wrist andinability

Customer Question

sudden onset numbness and paralysis of right hand, wrist andinability to extend but no flex fingers and wrist. numbness is in top of hand and top of forearm up to side of bicep into tricep area. Underside of arm and hand not affected. Unable to give thumbs up sign . Day before was gardening and jambed my hand/wrist when hand trowel boke
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
what medical conditions do you have .. what medicines are you one.. can you lift your arm... and squeeze your other hand with the hand ? any blurred vision, speech impairment, facial droop, age and sex?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hypertension treated with toprol 50 mg daily, hydrochlorthiazide 12.5 mg daily. BP today 122/77 . Normal cholesterol, normal lipids, high hdl,low ldl, walk 4 miles daily, ht: 6 ft, wt: 183. take baby asa daily : mother's family has htn and cad. Dad's family htn and high cholesterol. Diet very good, non-smoker, non-drinker.
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
there are two possibilities here both of which require urgent evaluation... it is possible that you have either dammaged the nerve while the gardening incidence or it is a stroke. Since I am not able to examine you online... I would advise seeking medical attention ASAP either by going to local ER or urgent care. It should not be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have no other symptoms. No pain, no weakness, no visual or speech problems,
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
i would think its probably the nerve damage but as I said its hard for me to examine here.. it is advisable to seek help ASAP.