A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

my husband was admitted to the hospital on Saturday with what

my husband was admitted to the hospital on Saturday with what was diagnosed as Diverticulitis. When they did the Cat skan, it showed a perforation that they said they would monitor. He continued to spike a fever and did not really feel much better with the anitbiotics. They did a second Cat skan yesterday which showed air around the perforation. His white blood count which stated at 22,000 has come down to around 16,000. what should we be asking, we are frustrated, it seems like this has been a slow, painful process. Patient is 42, overweight but otherwise healthy

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm so sorry to hear your husband is having such a bad time of it. I would be asking if they think surgery is necessary to fix the perforation. The fact that the white cell count is coming down is a good one. The main danger with a perforation is peritonitis which often requires emergency surgery to clean the fecal matter out of the peritoneum to prevent infection, and to fix the bowel. Often there must be an temporary colonoscopy until everything is healed. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what the whole situation is, and what they intend to do about it.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

oh, I guess I didn't ask the question correctly, they have discussed surgery, it just seems like we have no advocate that we can go to to get a real answe. There are a slew of "doctors and PAs coming in but our main Doctor who said he is responsible for helping faciliate our

Yes, it makes it difficult when it seems that nobody is talking to you. Your main doctor is the one who should be running interference for you, and explaining things along the way so taht you can make informed decisions. You might consider discussing your frustrations with one of your husband's nurses so she can help with the technical stuff.