Dr. D
Dr. D, Doctor
Experience:  Reproductive Endocrinologist

I am a 28 year old female, who is sexually active with my partner.

I am a 28 year old female, who is sexually active with my partner. I had a birth control injection at the end of May 2008 and started bleeding for six weeks non-stop. At the end of the three months (August), my partner asked me to stop the injection, as it obviously poses some health risks for me. I thought of going on the pill, but I never had my period since. A recent pregnancy test turned out negative.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like the injection you got was Depo Provera which is notorious for causing abnormal bleeding. It may be worth it to see your GYN to check some lab work and induce a period as long as you are not pregnant.

My concerns with birth control pills for you are 2- fold. The first being the family history of clotting. You would need to be fully worked up for thrombosis risk before you start it. The second is your lamictal. This medicine may interfere with the effectiveness of the birth control pill. You might talk to your doctor about the IUD(intrauterine device) and see if that is a good option for you if you are not trying to get pregnant at this time.

Hope that helps and best wishes to you.