Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

Avid runner , developed pain acute in right foot last week,

Customer Question

Avid runner , developed pain acute in right foot last week, have rested it and iced with no decrease in swelling or pain and basically unable to walk on it now, one weird thing though, 3 ays prior to the onset of pain I stepped on a sea urchin,
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using Justanswer for your question.

Increasing pain and swelling can indicate infection. Although this could be a venom reaction, it is very important for you to seek medical evaluation because if this is an infection it can be difficult to deal with in the foot, and you should probably be started on antibiotics.

I suggest that if your doctor cannot see you that you go to an Urgent Care clinic or ER.

See this article for more information on see urchin puncture wounds:

If you have questions, please reply, we want to make sure you are happy with your answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Susan thank you , I am a scientist so really new this already but I just needed someone to tell me to go to the doctor! thanks I will get it checked out in a few hours after work. sL
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

That's why doctors and all of us should never diagnose ourselves. It is hard to be objective about ourselves and realize that "we" could have a problem. I understand. So go on, now! (thank you for accepting0