Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK

Is there any medication that can cause mucus in bowel movements

Is there any medication that can cause mucus in bowel movements? What would the mucus look like? I think I see it from time to time,but am not sure. It looks like undigested food. I have h. pylori and I am on meds for it-prevacid, biaxin, and amoxicillin. I have had ct scans with barium drink and contrast dye and colonoscopy and blood work FOBT, stool guaiac-all negative, no polyps during colonoscoopy. Otherwise, bowel movements are normal-no blood. Does mucus point to a more serious condition. I see it when I wipe, not in stool. Thank you. The color is brown
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
if you have all these tests and everything is fine ... then you probably have irritable bowel syndrome which causes mucous in stools. Mucus is a clear, white, or yellow substance with the consistency of jelly which is produced by the mucous membrane of the large intestine. presence of mucous doesnt reflect a serious problem.