A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I went to the dermatologist two months ago regarding a sore

I went to the dermatologist two months ago regarding a sore place on my left cheek. He never said exactly what it was, but the place had been there a couple of months and was not healing. It would get a scab, I would pick it of, it would scab again. He recommended liquid nitrogen to freeeze it, Desonate topical steroid, Doxycycline antibiotics. Two months later, it is still as sore as it was, if not worse. The place was very inflamed and sore for two weeks after it was done, and scabbed over, but it seems to have gone back to the same process. I pick at it, it scabs over again, I pick at it, .... I don't want to have another liquid nitrogen treatment, so what are my options here. I don't believe surgery to remove it would be wise due to the size of it and it being on my face.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Not to be trivial, but your best option may be handcuffs. As long as you continue to pick at any lesion, it will not heal well. Perhaps if you covered it with a Bandaid at all times you aren't bathing, you could leave it alone for 2-3 weeks so that it has a chance to heal on its own. The constant picking at it runs the risk of infection and scarring, and, of course, won't let it heal.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like to know what are the other treatment options such as medicine, topicals, etc. other than liquid nitrogen are available. This is a habit I have of picking, and I usually wear a bandage everywhere but at work, and it isn't getting better. Need a little more information.

The best options for treatment are an antibacterial cream (Neosporin is fine). Oral antibiotics (like doxycycline) more to prevent infection than anything else and Tylenol by mouth for pain should do fine. You can try warm compresses when you are bathing it. Then antibacterial cream and a bandaid. Particularly since you are prone to picking at scabs, it is best to keep it covered 24/7.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist