Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

My HDL and LDL counts are very good (dont have them in front of me

Hi, I am almost 57 years old and have been taking Lipitor (10Mg) for about 5 years. My HDL and LDL counts are very good (don't have them in front of me but somewhere are 167 and 70). My question is: does lipitor also clean out possible clog areas that might've pre-existed my starting to take Lipitor or does it only prevent new ones?
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
high cholestrol causes atherosclerosis which is the narrowing of the vessel. Lipitor brings high cholestrol down and slows/stops the process of atheroscelrosis. if a vessel is already clogged.. stent is used to open it. lipitor will not open it up but used long term will prevent further damage.