Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK

Is this something I should worry about Its very annoying and sickening.

I go through phases of smelling and tasting fumes, not just in one place, but its as though it travels with me. It's like I'm always standing at a gas station. It gets into my throat, and gives me headaches. I've asked all my office mates if they smell anything and they dont. I smell it at home, in the office, on the street. It really seems to be something in my own body, rather than external, but I can't imagine what. Any ideas? The last two days it has been overwhelming and is making me feel sick.
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
do you have any medical issues like seizures/ epilepsy.. what medicines are you on.. did you have any testing done recently for it
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no medical issues that i know of... in fact i am very healthy, eat well, exercise often... good complexion...

i have never been tested for it because it has never bothered me as much as it has the past few days.. its just been annoying... but now its bringing me down, really strong...

the only thing i can say is that i had a nose bleed a few days ago, kind of out of the blue... which is odd..
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
Dysosmia is a distorted sense of smell. A person senses non-existent unpleasant odors. It can be caused by medical and mental conditions.Infected nasal sinuses and damage to the olfactory bulbs, poor oral hygeine, head trauma, alcohol dependence, schizophrenia, depression can cause dysosmia.brain-stem disease and epilepsy can cause smelling disorders. <br /> <br />The best thing would be to see a doctor so that he can run tests to eclude the above causes.

follow the link for info