Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS
9208484

my mom had a eye caterac removed from both of her eyes last

Customer Question

my mom had a eye caterac removed from both of her eyes last 6 months ago but evey where she goes -she says people are staring at her or at her eyes. she even goes and ask her service staffs and the customers why they all star at her as she thinks one of her eyes id bigger than the other, we have taken her to see many other doctors but it makes her more depress and we are getting the blame for taking her to go for the medical checkups, she evey nights take sleeping pills and she is super senstive if we say she is not crazy and she shouts at the family and goes in depressin and do not talk to us foer a few days. even if she sees the doctors she lies abt her behavour and does not take the anti-dpression meds. wht can we do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 6 years ago.
<p>Hi,</p><p>   I am an Ophthalmologist. Can you give me some more information-</p><p>- was she give anesthetic injection below or above the eye before the catarct surgery or the surgery was done by instilling anestetic eye drops?</p><p>- is she diabetic/hyeprtensive?</p><p>- how is her vision after surgery?</p><p>Regards</p>
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she was given anesthetic injection , but i do not know if it was below or above the eye before the catarct surgery , i heard that they the nurses put a few eye drops 1hr before the surgery to dilate the eyes. she is not - diabetic/hyeprtensive, after the surgery she had to war a eye patch and evey few hrs to use a eye drops. she still need glasses but her eye pressure has only dropped a bit and she sees a bit a glar/brightness when she wakes up. she thought after the surgery there will be no need for glasses like her friends .
Thanks for the information.
The anesthetic injection given before surgery an sometimes affect the nerves and muscles around the eye. That can sometimes give the feeling of unequal size in both the eyes. The glare and brightness are due to dryness of eyes on getting up. That can be reduced on using lubricating eye drops like gentea or refresh tears (available OTC). Usually glasses are not needed for far vision, but she will need them for reading.
The difference in size of eyes due to the nerve or musce involvemment will also will be apparent for a few more weeks only
Regards