Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK

swelling in my lower legs and knee and ankle stiffness..leg

I have swelling in my lower legs and knee and ankle stiffness. My leg feel wobbley. I am running a temp and feel dizzey with a overall shakiness. Some kind of tingling senstion in back of neck and head. I do have some lower back pain as well. I am 45 yrs old a female no children. I am overwieght and had a gastric bypass 11yrs ago. I do smoke and drink wine. I never had high blood pressure but my sugars can be low and elevate quickly. This is not the first time I have experienced these symptoms but it usally goes away in a day or two. I have been feeling this way for several days and feels like it is not getting better.
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
swelling of the legs could be from several causes inclduing blood clot, varicose vein( incompetent valves )/ chronic venous stasis,kidney problems, heart problems , liver problems, infections and medicines, It is important to have ultrasound of the legs to rule out clot, cbc and BMP/ LFTS to evaluate liver and kidney. Echocardiogram for heart function. Usual medicines that can cause swelling in legs are aleeve/ ibuprofen, norvasc, rosiglitazone. A physical exam should be done to rule out infections.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have been taking aleve and Ibupofen. But what of the fever?
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
fever could be a part of phlebitis or DVT if any. As I said earlier it is important to have this checked sooner than later. If you can stay off aleeve /ibuprofen that will be good for now until you see your doc.