Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

i am helping an 89 year old woman who has mild diabetes and

Customer Question

i am helping an 89 year old woman who has mild diabetes and a pacemaker. She is also on heart medication. She is cold and sweaty and feels bad. Her BP is 160 over 89 with a heart rate of 85 lying down. Is this just a "spell" or should I contact her physician?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Have you checked her blood sugar?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, I can do that. She had turkey sausage, whole wheat toast, and light yogurt for breakfast 2 hours ago. I will check it and get back to you. She takes medication for diabetes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Her blood sugar is 147. This is not unusual for her. She takes 4 metformin pills. 3 at night and 1 in the am.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

Well, based on all the numbers, the blood pressure is a bit high, but everything else seems to be not alarming (in the sense that the heart rate isn't 150, or the blood sugar 50 or 350).

Unfortunately, because feeling the chills, sweaty, and feeling "bad" can be from a number of things, including heart related causes and infectious causes, should she continue to feel bad, I would think having her seen by her doctor would be ideal, since nothing can replace a physical exam in this situation.

The exam and simple blood tests could help point to a potential cause, such as a low grade infection that could be the cause for these symptoms. You've done a good job with the vital signs and blood sugar; the next best step is probably to contact her doctor and relay these to him/her since he/she knows the medical history the best and can make further recommendations.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do that. She has had a urinary track infection for over a month and has been on several rounds of antibiotics. It may be related to that. She is now also nauseous.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Yes, the history of the month long UTI certainly suggests that a new flareup of the infection could be the cause of these problems. I would think her doctor would want another urinalysis at the very least.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.