Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

tests done such as numerous EKGs, blood work and chest x-rays

Customer Question

Hi, Over the last several months I have been experiencing chest pain and shortness of breathe. Recently it has also been dizziness and nausea. I have had tests done such as numerous EKG's, blood work and chest x-rays. I have also had a CT scan of my head, echo, stress test and PFT. All came back normal. Do you think this can be anxiety? Can these symtoms happen everyday and be extreme? Should I worry abot my heart?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
1. You are young, so it's unlikely you are having heart disease related to atherosclerosis.

2. You have had numerous tests, including the EKGs, chest x-rays, echocardiogram, stress test, PFTs that would have found any abnormalities in the heart electrical rhythm, structual abnormalities, and heart changes with exertion.

Given that you have had nearly every test to look at the heart, and you are young, it's probably most likely that your doctors will have to attribute this to anxiety, since your heart function, by every measure, seems to be OK. Anxiety attacks can easily cause such symptoms, and if you find that these episodes only come when you are anxious, then perhaps talking with your doctors for treatment/therapy for anxiety would be the next best step for you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Dr. Mark, I have this symptoms practically everyday though. Yes I am stressed went through alot in the last year. Could this cause everyday symptoms? I had the echo and stress test about 7 months ago but recently had an EKG, blood work and a chest x-ray. Do you think that I should get these tests repeated? Also I noticed that usually when I turn to my left, my chest hurts more. Any ideas why?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
If you are overly anxious, then the symptoms could come everyday.

It's hard to say if you should get the tests repeated since all of them seem to be normal. What might be helpful is getting an EKG during an episode of chest pain, since that would tell you if there was any electrical abnormality in the heart as the possible cause of the chest pain (however unlikely).

And the fact that your chest hurts more with a different position seems to point more toward a musculoskeletal reason for the pain (rather than the heart, since heart related pain would not be positional).
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I actually did get an EKG while having chest pain and they said my heart was strong but it is just so weird how I feel. I feel like I am out of I am not mysled and everything is surreal. Where would heart pain be positioned? Does it just mover around? My chest pain is in the center towards the left
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Heart pains can be in the center of the chest, to the left of the chest, radiate up to the shoulder, and in the left upper arm, or a combination of these. If you had a EKG during the episode of chest pain, then it is unlikely that this chest pain is due to an arrythmia, or heart rhythm disturbance, or heart attack.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr. Mark, I know how to describe how I feel....I feel like I have taken medicine with Ephredrine in it and feel kinda high. I take Lorazapam 3 times a day...a very small dose but I have been taking it for 5 months now so don't think that is why