Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I have no insurance right now and cant go to the doctor. Is

I have no insurance right now and can't go to the doctor. Is there something I can buy over the counter for hot flashes? I'm 42 years old and have had a partial hystercomy and I believe that I am going through the change.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using Justanswer for your question.

I know that certain herbs and lifestyle changes can be helpful for hot flashes in women who have not have a hysterectomy. They should work for you as well, but you really need to discuss this with your personal physician as soon as possible.

The herbal medications are much more mild than prescribed medication, but can give helpful effects. It is important, though, that you buy one's of high quality. There isn't much government regulation on doseages and quality, so make sure you buy a well known brand and read the bottle to find out about the companies policies. Some of the larger companies really work to make high quality products, even without regulation.

Here is a article with good recommendations from Dr. Andrew Weil's web site. He is a physician who works with complementary health producst as well as traditional. He bases his recommendations on herbs that have had research to back up the claims. See:

I hope this helps.

If you have questions, please reply, I want to make sure you are happy with your answer.