A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My daughter is 13.5 years old. When she was 2 she had a BM

My daughter is 13.5 years old. When she was 2 she had a BM that went up into her private area. I cleaned it too agressivly and I think I broke the hymen. She had really stinky underwear as a toddler. I raised my concerns with her pediatrician and she advised me to not use soap in this area. She has had really wet, fishy undies her who life. The Dr. said that little girls need to change their undies often. I suspect BV, but have been shot down by her doctor. She is severley overweight. She weighs over 200 lbs. As a child she was on DertolLA for incontinence and she would leak urine. All tests were normal. She is developing normally, but hasn't menustrated yet. Do you suspect BV and do you think this would cause delayed menses or other reproductive problems for her?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I would consult another doctor about this, perhaps your gyn or Women's Health nurse practitioner. It may be bacterial vaginitis. With her weight it is difficult to keep clean and dry, especially if she is still leaking a little urine. The weight may also delay the start of her menses. If she is developing dark areas on the back of her neck, underarms, or inner thighs, it may be a problem called PCOS which includes insulin resistance and weight problems among other things. A sensitive medical provider would probably try a round of antibiotics just in case it was BV to start with.