drknowsbest
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health
9384716

shoulder..ferver and his arm hurts and itches, not sure..blood

my boyfriend got what we think?? is a spider bite by a brown recluse about 8 weeks a go while digging up yucca plants in Ind with in a week he had a very bad open wound, was treated by an ER doctor with an antibiotics, a shot and pills and the spots healed in about two weeks, they were uncertain on what bit him.   a week ago another spot has appeared about 5 inches above the healed spot close to the shoulder and looks like a raw cervics with an infection circling the outer edge about two inches with a ferver and his arm hurts and itches, not sure on what kind of doctor to see since no one seems to know how to treat this.     would blood work help to figure out a course of treatment.     I have picture of the first wound if that would be helpful.
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 8 years ago.
Hello Customer!
It is possible that he has now developed an abscess due to retained bacteria. Secondary infections are more common with spider bites and it is less likely this far afterwards this is still due to the venom. He should probably be seen either way by an infectious disease speciailist since he has already gone through several antibiotics and the infection continues. We should have a wound and maybe blood cultures to determine the best choice of antibiotics if this is a resistant infection.
Good Luck
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the advice, can you tell me if your up to date on how the brown recluse spider bite affects the person bitten, all my reserch on this spider on the web sites says the venom can stay in the body and cause new sores for months if not treated correctly when first biten. Im looking for as much info as possible because doctors here in Ill dont deal offen with this kind of spider bite like they due down in Tenn. most times by the time they figure it out the infection has spreed badly.