A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My husband is taking paroxetine 20mg, and it helps with his

My husband is taking paroxetine 20mg, and it helps with his nerves some but he still gets uptight and a little tense at times. He also seems to be sleeping a lot more lately and says he's tired all the time. I think he is still dealing with some depression. I didn't know if there was a better generic medicine that he can try. Right now we don't have any insurance so generic is the only way we can go.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Your husband may be having some depression that isn't covered by the paroxetine, since he is on such a low dose. You can ask his prescriber if an increase in dose would be best for him. There are a number of generic drugs that can be used.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
His doctor had doubled his dosage, but it cost a lot more to get 40mg prescription. So, I thought there might be something a little better. The doctor he goes to is a family doctor and I don't think he knows much about antidepressiants. He only is seeing my husband because me and my daughter sees him.

What are you having to pay for paroxetine?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

We purchase it from Wal-Mart and its on their $4.00 Perscriptions. But the 40mg was going to cost use $45.00 a month.

Perhaps your Walmart is different, but I write for two 20 mg tablets per day and a 30-day supply costs $8. Your doctor could also try fluoxetine (generic for Prozac). They have both the 20 mg and the 40 mg of that for $4 per month or $10 for 3 months.