Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

face and head pain in the sinus area ringing in the ears..back

Customer Question

i have had face and head pain in the sinus area ringing in the ears and cracking ears also my back teeth ache also allergies, i have seen ent specialist and he did nasoscopy however i have to have ct sinuses, he said no cancer up my nose but i am worried that a ct may show it would he have seen an abnormality , i am tempted not to go also i have to have skin tests to.
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 5 years ago.
CT scan is the test of choice to diagnose chronic sinus issues... thats the reason your ENT ordered it. If there was a tumor he must have seen it with nasoscope. I dont think you should worry your self to sick on this and have your ct scan n allergy skin test.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but could the tumour be further up in my sinuses or is that unusual the scope only goes so far, or does cancer of the sinus not present like that
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also i have one side worse than other he gave me nasel spray new one been on old one 15years my nose started to bleed a big clott down the back of my throat
Expert:  Salar replied 5 years ago.
cancer of parasinus are not common though possible. i would not worry too much about it .. even if you have a cancer for example ( though I really doubt) it would be better to get checked anyways/
Expert:  Salar replied 5 years ago.
Sinuses are cavities or small tunnels.these sinuses are filled with air. When you have a cold or sinus infection they can fill with mucus and pus, often becoming obstructed, and cause discomfort.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
said to take it 2mths but i am worried to also oral steriods make it better that what worries me would it improve cancer etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you said he would have seen it but would he have or not with the scope please
Expert:  Salar replied 5 years ago.
if there is cancer of the cells lining the para nasal sinues .. he can't detect that by visual exam with nasoscope. It would probably require biopsy. there are several sinuses which can not be seen with nasoscope in complete due to location and limited access with nasoscope.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so why did you say he would see cancer? you answered my question and made me feel more positive then you say that he cant see everything with scope im confused now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you say cells of the sinus then if this was so and he could not see visually how will this show on ct as they are not raised, so your saying he would of seen a tumour but not cell abnormality
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
answer is taking along time
Expert:  Salar replied 5 years ago.
yes.. tumor is like a mass or out growth but if there is a change in cell morphology called dysplasia then he can't see them naso scope.. I am just wondering why are you so concerned about parasinus cancer... do you have some information which you didnt share as otherwise we are just going round and round on the same thing. As I said these are rare cancers and if your ENT ordered CT sinus that doesnt mean he is worried about cancer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i dont want to go round in circles ijust cant understand how a ct will show cell change thats all also i feel that i AM QUITE UNWELL AT TIMES WITH THE HEADACHES ETC I GET QUITE DIORIENTATED AND CONFUSED SOMETIMES
Expert:  Salar replied 5 years ago.
well in that case A ct scan of the head and the sinus should be done to evaluate the situation
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will a sinus ct show brain abnormality then?
Expert:  Salar replied 5 years ago.
usually CT sinuses will not include CT brain. It has to be requested by your doctor with CT sinuses.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so to clarify a mass has to be present on ct to show up abnormality as cells that are effected may not be visible.i mean of the sinuses.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and he would have proberly seen some evidence of this with nasoscope?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does ct show throat or swollen glands etc or purely sinuses?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and how do they determine wether swelling is just inflammation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
please answer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
please answer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am having scan in 50mins please reply
Expert:  Salar replied 5 years ago.
sorry I was away. As I mentioned earlier the CT scan can pick up chronic sinusitis which shows opacification of the sinuses due to mucous. Depending on the way CT scan is done .. it can include swollen glands.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what do you mean depending on the way it is done
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my one is a basic lay on your back but it is a brand new ct scanner if that helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you answer please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you reply please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am still waiting for more information you answer quite basically and generally please reply.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

A CT scan is the basic standard investigation for sinus pain.

If it shows that your sinuses are full of debris/fluid etc then you will be offered surgery to drain them.

Your symptoms are not those of cancer and your anxiety is groundless.

Dr Jef

I'm happy to discuss this further with you if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but how do they know that lymth nodes etc due to infection and swellingsin passages from cancer etc, why didnt i have to lay on my face etc for my scan?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have frequently got oral thrush due to inhalers could the problem be in the sinuses also as i use nasel spray too steroid.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Any tumor would have been visible when you had your scope and in that case you would be going for a biopsy not a CT.

Tumors have a characteristic appearance on a CT and can easily be distinguished from other tissue.

Laying on your face is not necessary for a CT scan of any body part.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so the ct just scans the sinuses and a tumour would have been seen on my nasoscopy, i was just worried that the swolln glands in my neck would look like something else but would they not scan as far as my neck.Would it not show my brain etc i just want to know that it was solely my sinuses that was scanned because i have always had swollen glands and have a real needle phobia.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how big are nodes before detectable on ct scan please?
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

You seem to have had a thorough assessment by a competent ENT Dr.

Your tests show that you do not have cancer.

If you need any further reassurance then you would be best advised to speak directly with your ENT Dr.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i havent had the ct results yet thats what im worried about
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

If you are worried then put in a call to your ENT Drs secretary and get the result!

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i only had it done friday 3rd oct and my ent dr is not that approciable
would i have been contacted as he said he would review results after skin tests thats nov 12th ill go mad by then, if it was bad would he contact me before five weeks?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i live in devon it dosent work like that down here we get told to wait and secretarys are not allowed to give results she would not let me speak to a surgeon!
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Call your GP then.

He/she can easily call the radiology department direct and get the result for you.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will it be ready by now 3days?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
rang gp said he did not request it ring hospital, just going round in circles?
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

That's especially unhelpful by your GP and I am surprised that he has adopted that stance.

Not a lot I can add really.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i know you have been very helpful and i am not as worried about the results as i was as you have said it would have most proberly already been seen if it was cancer but i still cant relax totally and each time the phone goes i get very distressed!
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

I am sorry to read of your distress.

However as I have mentioned already your symptoms are in no way suggestive of cancer.

Dr Jef

PS I'm logging of now for the day.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i still havent been able to get my results its a week now and i am still distressed. going to my gp today as my voice has gone horse, can i request the result again, i will not be able to relax until i know its my body afterall. how long does it take for these results anyway do they get in touch if its bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
forgot to mention my ears were full of fluid.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
had ahearing test no hearing loss.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

If you have any further questions you really need to post a fresh question.

Dr Jef