Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

GP..extreme..he diagnosed a eustachian tube disorder and gave me..ears

I recently saw my GP because i had a spell of sudden and extreme dizziness for a few hours and then just a less severe feeling of being 'giddy' - he diagnosed a eustachian tube disorder and gave me some info about it, and excersises to do to help air flow in my ears. I did not have any deafness, but buzzing and popping noises occasionally. I then happened to read that anaemia can cause dizziness and shortness of breath, but the problem is that I know i do suffer from hypochondria due to losing family and friends to illness at young ages, and having other health problems myself which took a while to diagnose. I have diverticula disease and urethral syndrome. I am on amitriptyline for bladder pain which seems to be working well. I know that if i read about any disease I can imagine that i truly have the symptoms. eg. I have the symptoms of anaemia and over prod. of red cells!! My question is - would my GP have ruled out anaemia when I saw him? Is it really just ETD? Please help!

If your blood work was done the anemia is the first step to looked for as counts are first and foremost done. So that must have been ruled out definitively.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No, my doctor didn't do any blood tests. He seemed definite in his diagnosis and said it wasn't serious, and it is true that I do feel a lot better (this happened last weekend) - I just read about occult bleeding from bowel cancer could cause anaemia and then imagined i had the lot (i have no other concerns or symptoms re bowel cancer tho - just a dread as my father and a couple friends have died from various cancers) I am only breathless if i imagine it! and i think it is the anxiety that is causing me to feel tired! My GP know how much I worry and always tries to reassure me, but it only works until i have something else to worry about.. should i stop googling and just trust my GP to look after me? I have trouble with that as my dad was misdiagnosed (not by my GP tho)

For the cause of dizziness, one of the commonest disorders are ear diseases. So there is usually, no doubt about your diagnosis. In anemia, dizziness only comes after walking a substantial distance or work for some duration. I can understand that a bad past experience haunts, but your GP is very likely to be 100% correct in your case. Internet gives many a times very deceptive information and can easily misguide you, so you should stop using search engines for your illness.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun