Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

know if chronic oain, over time, would a person to deveop depression

Customer Question

I have had chronic pain for 18 years now. I need to know if chronic oain, over time, would a person to deveop depression ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.

Can you tell me some more about your pain and how you are feeling?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was injured on the job in 1990 and went to several doctors , who tested and released me until one doctor determined that i have Brachial Plexothamy ( plexitis ?) i had over streched everything from my left hand up to my neck and in the area of my shoulder blade. Had plenty of physical therapy and steroid shots. No help. i was always sent back to work where part of my job description was setting up portable generators, climbing poles, and other jobs that required strength. i loved my job !! i kept telling them that i did not want to quit work, i just wanted to stop the pain. i finally had to quit. Right before I quit, i tried to commit suicide. It was not a cry for help. i was angry when i woke up in the hospital. Even though i am on antidepressants and seeing a physcotherapist , i still pray that i do not wake up the next day. i don't get any support from my husband.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.

What medication are you on?

For how long have you been seeing your psychotherapist?

Are you still having thoughts of self harm?

Dr Jef