Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK

A patient believed she was normotensive, had a murmur and palpitations,

A patient believed she was normotensive, had a murmur and palpitations, and was given mavik for this. Does this sound reasonable?
The medicine is used clinically for high blood pressure management but there are other uses of medicine including use to prevent kidney damage in diabeties, congestive heart failure, left ventricular hypertrophy . some times these medicines are used in low doses for causes other than high blood pressure to get the benefits. I am not aware of use of this medicine for palpitations though. The blood pressure is ok with the medicine.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Since ACE-I can cause arrhythmias, it was not intuitive to me that they might be prescribed for arrhythmias. She feels her doc is not worried about the murmur, although it was "new" 4 years ago. M/b the vasodilatory effect could be thought of as proactive in case there are valve abnormalities? I just wonder if she is not correct, and that it was actually prescribed for HTN.
I believe it must be prescribed for high blood pressure. If she is worried about the murmur she can request an echocardiogram by her doctor. the ace inhibitors work at the level of kidney vessels and not at the heart so have no effect on heart rate or rhythm. the holosystolic murmur could be from Mitral regurg or VSD. I doubt that its VSD at this age though.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
you are welcome . Glad to be of assistance.