Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

I went to a new doctor to have a physical and establish care

I went to a new doctor to have a physical and establish care after not having health insurance for 8 years. I told her about how, over the last six to eight months I have been having sudden episodes of double vision only in my left eye. It lasts for about 10 - 15 minutes and then goes away just as suddenly. No headache or dizziness with the vision problem, but I am getting increasingly frequent headaches that affect my speech. I am using the wrong word, and I KNOW it's the wrong word when I say it but I can't make myself say the right word. The most recent example is having a conversation with my son about driving rules. I tried to say "That's illegal" but I kept saying "That's eagle" over and over again. I had a bad headache at the time. I do not take any medications other than OTC ibuprofen for headaches. My doctor was alarmed and ordered tests for later this week, but now I'm alarmed too. What are the possibilities?
Hi

How old are you?

Are you to have a CT scan / MRI of your head?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Dr. Jef,

I am a 38 year old female. The first test my doctor has ordered is an opthalmology exam to rule out a problem with my vision, but she doesn't expect that to be very enlightening. She has also ordered a CT scan. No MRI at this point. When I told her about these episodes I also told her that I am going through a divorce right now because I was all but certain these symptoms could be stress related. I expected her to agree with me but she doesn't feel that these symptoms are stress related and the truth is I am pretty grounded emotionally. I don't have any other major medical problems.

Hi

Headaches affecting your speech are suggestive of an atypical migraine.

Double vision can be a feature of "ophthalmoplegic migraine."

The CT scan should exclude any structural problem.

Dr Jef

Please get back to me if you need to.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I think I am more relaxed hearing the word "migraine" as a possibility rather than "OMG you have a brain tumor". Migraine is something I can focus on and not let my imagination run away with me before the testing is complete.