Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

heart..laryngectomee and needs an aortic valve replacement..infection

Can people who have tracheotemies undergo open heart surgery? My husband is a laryngectomee and needs an aortic valve replacement. The doctor is concerned about infection and says he cannot perform a regular open heart procedure. Does anyone in Canada do non invasive surgery for replacement of the aortic valve? Thank you for any help you can give.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Yes, they can perform a limited sternotomy to help prevent infection complications due to the tracheostomy.

This has been described in the literature, as the limited or modified sternotomy:

You are correct in finding a surgeon who is experienced in the modified opening sternotomy to do the procedure safely. In the United States, some surgeons are using the Da Vinci robotic system to assist in minimally invasive valve replacement, though I am not sure there are surgeons in Canada that do the procedure. Your best bet is waiting for the consultation with the surgeon to ask him/her these questions.