PatriciaRN, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of nursing experience, 2 in ER, 1 at Planned Parenthood clinic

The bottom of my feet feel like they are on fire. I have some

Customer Question

The bottom of my feet feel like they are on fire. I have some numbness on the very bottom part of both feet. There is no discoloration. I am very healthy,6' 3", 215lb, 65 year old male. Is this something I need to be concerned about?
Category: Health
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 8 years ago.

When reading your symptoms, two possibilities came to mind.

The first is that you may have some peripheral vascular disease. This occurs when there is a slowing of circulation or blood flow to the lower extremities, which can cause pain, numbness and/or tingling in the legs and feet.

Here is a link regarding this condition:

You especially have risk factors for this if you were ever a smoker, but it can happen in non-smokers as well.

The other condition that comes to mind is plantar fasciitis. This is an inflammation of the muscles of the foot, and it can hurt awfully, especially if you are on your feet quite a bit or have poorly fitting shoes.

This can often be treated with an orthotic. A visit to a podiatrist can be very helpful.

Here is a link regarding plantar fasciitis:

I hope this is helpful to you. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is Peripheral Vascular disease progressive? Does it get worse? Is there a treatment for it? Can it be cured?
Hello,Customer and thanks for asking.

No, peripheral vascular disease does not have to get any worse as long as it is diagnosed, treated, and controlled.

If there is already some damage, it's doubtful that this can be totally cured, but sometimes procedures can be done to increase flow to the lower extremities, such as stents. These can greatly improve circulation and ease pain.

Also, medications to control the condition can be prescribed.

Here is another link that discusses the condition, the diagnosis, and the treatment in more detail:

By all means, if you are a smoker, stop smoking, as this greatly contributes to the disease. It sounds like you are already active, and that is good. Focus on a diet of lean protein, monounsaturated and only some healthy saturated fats, vegetables, whole grains and fruits.

Best of see your doctor about this and keep it under control if this is what is going on.