Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN, Doctor
Experience:  Primary Care Doctor . Board Certified 12 years, OB/GYN

I have a UTI and I have amoxicillin, this is my first time.

Customer Question

I have a UTI and I have amoxicillin, this is my first time. Is it okay to take amoxicillin? I hate going to the doctors office.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just ANswer,

While antibiotic treatment is usually recommended for Urinary Tract Infections, it is very important to visit the doctor to be for sure that this is what you have. First of all, if you have some leftover antibiotics, they may be outdated, and not effective anymore. Also, some antibiotics can become dangerous after sitting for a long time and becoming outdated. The last reason why you shouldn't take the leftover antibiotics is because you need a full dose of antibiotics. If you only have an old bottle from a previous infection, then it is likely that this will not be enough to treat your infection properly. Antibiotics are meant to be taken until the entire bottle is gone, because if the infection does not clear up all the way, then it may soon return. Please consult your physician asap if you think you have an infection. It is best to be safe.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I bought the anitbiotics when I went off-island to the Philippines because you usually just go to the doctor when you are sick to get a prescription for antibiotics, I have a full round and I really really do not want to go in to see a doctor. I am positive I have a uti and the meds are not expired. Is it alright?

Yes, amoxicillin will be alright to take if you cannot get into the doctor. There are home tests you can buy at Wal-Mart, or other pharmacies that can also detect if there is bacteria in your urine, and if you may have a UTI. If you choose not to see the doctor, I recommend taking one of the home tests first. However, the amoxicillin if a full dose and not expired, will indeed work for a UTI.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good morning!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

How many mg should I take and for how long?

How old are you, what is your height, weight, and do you have any other illnesses?

Furthermore, have you taken amoxicillin before?

What is the brand name of your medicine, or is it just generic amoxicillin? How many mgs are in each pill according to label?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I'm 20, 5'4, 190 lbs, and no illnesses.

Amoxicillin is prescribed to me whenever I get strep throat, etc.

The brand name is XXXXX XXXXX its 500mg capsules.

Thank you for the additional information.

I cannot stress to you how important it is to visit the doctor for this problem, and it is impossible for me to give you an exact dosage without seeing you. If this is a mild infection, 500 mgs , twice daily should be effective. However in some patients simple antibiotic treatment with amoxicillin fails , and a second treatment with a different medication may be required. When using a penicillin based drug, Augmentin is the preferred choice. Some strains of bacteria have become resistant to amoxicillin, however, and alternative choices are recommended, commonly Cephalosporins such as Keflex . If this infection does not clear up, or symptoms become worse, please call the doctor right away.

Thank you!

I forgot to add that usually this medication is administered for 10 days. Thank you