Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hello I have a cist type thing (or thats how the last doctor

Customer Question

Hello I have a cist type thing (or thats how the last doctor explained it) very very near to the outside of my genital area.. the frist one i had was EXTREMELY painful and I went to the er and they lanced it.. I have another and I really dont want to got to the er again (the shot they gave me was too painful) but Id really like some advice on what to do and ease the pain please
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

The description, you have provided seems to be boil, abscess or a carbuncle. They usually require an antibiotic or incision drainage (lancing). You can do the following;

1) Warm compresses and warm sitz bath

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Motrin or Advil

3) An oatmeal lotion is sometimes soothing. Read the resource;

If pain increases, you may need a trip to ER or an urgent care clinic.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so there is no way for me to get rid of it without going to the er.. theses things you told me to do will only minimize the pain a bit right?? the last time i went to the er they gave me a shot down there and it was the most painful thing ive ever felt i cant do that again.. and id really like another way.. please is there anhting else

If the infection is low grade and the collection is minimal these measures may help and the swelling may resolve spontaneously on its own. Sometimes it opens up the skin on its own and so pain is relieved and healing is facilitated. Otherwise there are no other measures except those I mentioned, I am afraid.

Dr. Arun