Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have had a painful lump develop at the base of my skull,

I have had a painful lump develop at the base of my skull, above my neck, on the left side. It came up a couple of days ago. It hurts to touch it, and also to bend my head forward, as it is very tender. At first, I thought it might be a huge, deep pimple, but it is not. I can feel another tiny lump right next to it. What is this?

Do you have any boil, abrasion, dandruff on scalp? Are you diabetic?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I do not have boils or dandruff, and I'm not diabetic. There is a small abrasion that has been ongoing for over a year that is on the scalp.

The site of this lump denote lymph node enlargement which do get painful if there is an infective problem going on in the draining area (scalp and neck). Usually they are self limiting and resolve on their own. Taking Advil or Motrin would help in resolution. If they persist or symptoms get increased, you will need a course of antibiotics. A small consideration would be of carbuncle or boil which may sometimes initially mimic the acute lymphadenitis (lymph node inflammation).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how long should I wait to see if it goes away? a few days? weeks?

In next 2-3 days it should get better marginally. This would indicate, it is going in remission. If gets worse, in 2-3 days, you will need an evaluation by a doctor. If it is getting better in next couple of days it should go away in a week or so.

Feel free to ask if you have queries.

Dr. Arun