A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

What is considered borderline high and what is very high ggt

What is considered borderline high and what is very high ggt?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. What is considered normal varies slightly from lab to lab. At the one I use, normal GGT ranges from 0 to 51 U/L depending on age and sex. Next to the result on your lab slip should be your lab's reference values. We don't normally become concerned about liver enzymes until they are 2-3 times the high level of normal (102-153 U/L at my lab). It's also important to know that we look at all the enzymes together, not just one by itself. GGT can be elevated in cases of biliary or pancreatic obstructive disease (stones), alcoholism, anc congestive heart failure among other things.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My AST is 47,ALT is 65, GGT 437. Are these acceptable wit h the fact I drank the night before?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My other levels are AST is 47 and ALT is 65

Yes, they are fine with AST and ALT only being the slightest bit elevated from my lab's normal. You may want to avoid drinking and have the levels checked again in 3 months. GGT is one of the first to show changes caused by alcoholic liver disease.