Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had a lumbar spine ray as it states there are five non rib

I had a lumbar spine ray as it states" there are five non rib bearing lumbat type vertebral bodies present. the pedicales apear grossly intect. What does this mean?
This is not clinically significant.

The thoracic vertebrae, those in the chest, bear ribs. But the lumbar vertebrae, those in the back lower down, do not bear ribs. In some people, the lumbar vertebrae also have the facets to which the ribs are attached in case of the thoracic vertebrae. This is a congenital variation and does not have any significance.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Tests Stattes "there is no acute fractur or sublucation identified. there are five non rib bearing lumbar type veterbral bodies present, The pedicles appear grossly intact, There is moderate disc space narrowing at l4-5 greater on the right. There is marginal spurring and endplate scelrosis along the right L4-5 level

I am concerened about the blacks spots that are showing on they xray (5). what could they be?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
need an answer to my reply?
In lay terms:

There is some mild arthritis in the lower spine (lumbar region) with a normal number of lumbar vertebrae. (Some people have an extra lumbar vertebra). The disc between the 4th and 5th bone shows some narrowing suggesting that this disc has degenerated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WHAT are the five non rib bearing lumbar type vertebtal bodies present.. the pedicles appear grossly intact . What does this mean?
The lumbar vertebrae (those in the lower part of the spine) do not have ribs attached. The thoracic vertebrae have ribs associated with them.

The pedicles grossly intact means that there are not fractures or evidence of tumors or other problems with the structure of the bones.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

what are the five non rib bearing lumbar type vertebral bodies present?

That means that there are 5 (the normal number) of lumbar vertebrae. This is NORMAL. It means that you don't have any extra bones in your lower back and it means that you do not have any of your thoracic vertebrae without ribs (as is seen in some patients)
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years