Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I havent pooped in maybe 4 days, and my stomach started hurting

I havent pooped in maybe 4 days, and my stomach started hurting pretty badly today. I took laxatives last night, 3 of them, didn't do anything. Now, I have a visible "food baby"- a big lump on the right side of my stomach that I guess is poop. My stomach is killing me and I feel bloated and disgusting... please help! I drink plenty of liquids, I know thats not the problem
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Greetings.

Do you have chronic constipation? Did you do massaging yourself? Do you have severe bloating and distension? Is there any tenderness in the abdomen? Do you have nausea? Was the initial problem only constipation or started with the mild pain abdomen?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay, I have a history of kind of not being able to poop. it never really bothered me though, until now. I did do the massaging myself, I read somewhere that circular stomach-rubbing helps... I could be doing it completely wrong though. As for bloating- when I lay on my back and look at my stomach, I can see the unevenness. My right side of my stomach sticks out more. I'm also on my period now, so some of the bloating could be from that (in fact, I initially wrote off the stomach pains as cramps but now I realize these dont feel like cramps). Its not so much tender as it is this constant sharp pain from that side of the stomach. I was in pain AFTER I wasn't able to poop, so I guess it started with constipation.
I dont know if this is relevant but I've also had the worst menstration period of my life the past 3 days. Nausea, cramps, bloating, back aches, and itching like crazy down there. I actually dont know what symptoms are from that and what's from constipation. But my periods starting to fade now, and the abdominal pain just began this afternoon.

Undiagnosed pain abdomen, lump/swelling with nausea, bloating and your other symptoms warrant quite a caution. In your age group, these symptoms point out to various thing which include appendicular lump (acute appendicitis), ovarian torsion, Meckel's diverticulitis etc. In a patient who has chronic constipation, fleet enema can be given but with your symptoms, enema should be avoided till a diagnosis is made. ideally you should get yourself examined by a physician as it would give clue to the diagnosis and would also tell the need of investigations like an ultrasound. You can consider going to an urgent care clinic or ER. At home maximal what you can do is to try a suppository to see, if helps you, passing motion and relieving your symptoms completely. If not, there is not much you can do at home and may complicate the condition.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun