TBurtonRN
TBurtonRN, Nurse
Experience:  5 years experience as RN in critical care, neurology, and pediatrics.
8195698

My ear hurts,.When I breath it feels like Im breathing through

Customer Question

My ear hurts,.When I breath it feels like I'm breathing through my nose. It makes popping and clicking noises and I get a little dizzy. I don't have any medical insurance. It sounds like an ear infection. Is there anything I can do to treat on my own?
Category: Health
Expert:  TBurtonRN replied 8 years ago.

This really depends on when you say your ear hurts, if you mean it is truly painful or just uncomfortable. It may not be an ear infection. It sounds like you may just have ear congestion. This is normally described as having: muffled hearing, crackling or popping noises, a stuffy full sensation in the ear, and usually no pain. Constant pain would mean that you should be seen.

At home you can try:

Chewing gum

Swallowing water while your nose is pinched closed

Decongestant nasal spray

If you have any allergy symptoms go ahead and take an antihistamine.

If your ear is truly painful you can take ibuprofen, apply cold compresses, and use olive oil drops (just 2-3) until you can be seen.

Please let me know if you need further information. I will be happy to help. T