Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

It feels like electrical impulses traveling from the mid arm

Customer Question

It feels like electrical impulses traveling from the mid arm down to my hand on the right side of my body...sometimes the sensation will travel to the higher part of my chest. It doesn't last long, just a minute or two then it fads away. I had a fall a couple weeks ago and may have pinched a nerve in my back. Could it be related to that?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.

I would like to get some more detail information about your problem,

How long the problem is there? In which arm it is felt? Is there any pain?

Do you have any other disease?like high blood pressure?

Do you take any medicine?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It started about two weeks ago (after I fell)- there is no pain, just this intermitten numbing, tingling sensation running up and down my arm. It is in my right arm. IWhen my arm is in a resting position, it is more frequent, as opposed to when I am active. I do not have high blood pressure. My blood pressure is usually around 118/70...sometimes it can be lower 108/62. I workout at the gym 3-4x per week with cardio. I take synthroid and loradadine for my allergies.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

The intermittent numbness & tingling sensation are related to nerve impulses .

It can be due to pinching of a nerve or its root any where in its course , in the spine or in the arm like behind the elbow joint.

The other causes are low calcium or electrolytes, vitamins , thyroid diseases, diabetes, or other nerve diseases.

You need to see a neurologist for an examination & find out the cause.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.