Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I was told I have a fixed narrowing in the Sigmoid Colon )inflammatory

I was told I have a fixed "narrowing in the Sigmoid Colon )inflammatory or neoplastic) what does that mean? Does it mean it is cancer?

Greetings

A fixed narrowing means that it is not expansile. This can be because of the;

1) Inflammatory; like Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis

or

2) Neoplastic; some growth (neo=new, plastic =growth), these can be benign or malignant (cancerous).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you so much, but what does expansile mean? God bless....

Expansile means which can't be expanded or which does not have elasticity, which normally the sigmoid colon or the intestinal muscles have.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I also have a "stenosis in the sigmoid" and a " prone diverticulum" in the descending colon.

I would like to pay extra money to find the answers to what these are and if they are extremely serious, or can be corrected? also, can the narrowing of the colon be corrected without surgery? thank you so much doctor Phophalia. how do I pay you another fee?

Stenosis means constriction. The constriction can be again benign or cancerous. These constrictions can be because of some organ pushing the sigmoid colon wall from the outside. The constriction can also be because of the adhesions or scarring in the wall of sigmoid. The biopsy (taking a small piece from the constriction and sending for histopathology) only can tell the nature of the constriction/stenosis. This or narrowing of the colon cannot be corrected conservatively (by medical measures) and would need surgery. The biopsy report can only determine if it is serious (cancerous) or not (benign).

Diverticulum are outpouching of the walls of colon. They usually occur with the age and people who eat less fibers in diet are prone to it. Most of the people after the age of 50 will have single to multiple diverticulum. They are benign things and most of the times are without any symptoms unless complication like infection or perforation occurs. This is not worrisome. Read about them in this resource;

http://www.acg.gi.org/patients/gihealth/diverticular.asp

Accepting another answer or bonus is your discretion.

Feel free, if you want to discuss it further.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr. Phophalia, thank you again for your help, I just authorized another payment, and would like to pay you a little more for these final answers. First of all, the stenosis is then a constriction and NOT a tumor? A nurse told me it was a malignant tumor, which of course worries me. The last two things on the virtual colonoscopy were:a "fatty benign adrenal nodule" and a "porta hepatic lymph node, likely reactive"....If you were to treat all of these problems would you say I have a short time for survival, someone told me most colon cancer survivors only had a five year expectancy? I realize all of this is dependant on the histopathology, but given all of the problems, how would you treat them, and what do you believe my survival percentages would be? Take care and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX again.

As I mentioned, a stenosis can be benign. Of course few can be malignant also, but the histopathology can only answer this. So from your narrowing, a piece would be taken for the microscopic examination and that will decide the issue. The colon cancer survival is dependent on two things;

1) Histopathology

2) Staging, which is called as Duke's staging. Any cancer which is just confined to the wall of the colon will have almost normal life expectancy and it is treatable.

Fatty benign adrenal nodule and reactive porta hepatis lymph node are considered as non pathological phenomenon and are not worrying. Still I would further evaluate the porta hepatis nodule and may go for further investigations for it. As I said they do not require treatment.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you again Dr. Phophalia, I left you good feedback.

You are welcome.

Best.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr. Arun, everytime I click on "accept" it says "you have already accepted the answer".....my bank account has been charged for three answers, how many have you been paid for now? please let me know, ok?

As you have accepted three times, I have been paid thrice. The system just cautions you about the acceptance.

Thank you.

Best.

Dr. Arun