Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

lift it up then put it back down, then my mind starts wondering

My symptom of this will arise by a daily task. Like lifting an object like a 2-liter of pop. I will lift it up then put it back down, then my mind starts wondering if this action is affecting the beating pattern. I have no pain or short breathness but why does my mind shift to thinking that just because the heart pounds a little faster when doing tasks that it adversely affects the heart? thanks!I have been battling GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) since May of 2007. I take 20 mg Lexapro at night and if a panic attack gets really bad I take a lorazapam 0.5 daily.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.
Hi

These types of thoughts are very common in GAD.

But if you are too much concerned about it ,you can go for ECG after consulting with your doctor.

If you have any other query, please tell me.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do have borderline hypertention which my doctor has me on Linsinopril 20 mg daily also. I also take Zyrtec and Flonase daily to for chronic allergies. Last ECG showed up normal and no pains. I am a little overweight for my height 224 at 5'8"   I think exercise like walking may decrease the GAD and blood pressure. So these types of thoughts just trigger a panic response which cause the heart to beat faster like if you were going to be hit? Thanks so much for time.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for the information,but any type of physical exercise we do is going to increase the heart beat naturally because of various body mechanism coming into action when we do physical activity.

It is also possible that you may have become too much sensitive to this ,are too much concentrating on your heart beat,and these unusual thoughts start coming to your mind.

You should discuss this issue with your treating Psychiatrist.If every thing is alright,your ECG were normal ,it may be because of Anxiety also and in this case slight dose adjustment will solve the problem.

Regards