Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM

The back of my calf was painful to the touch with no visible

Customer Question

The back of my calf was painful to the touch with no visible dis-coloration, so I rubbed the back of my upper calf, although it was painful, last night, and today the area below the back of my calf looks like a red blotchy bruise, what happened and will the red go away? I did not hit or injure the calf before this. I am a waitress and the muscles were tight.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 5 years ago.
In my opinion, pain in calves may be caused by following factors-
Calf muscle stiffness due to overexertion as you have to stand for long time.
Tendonitis- tearing of muscles .
Intermittent claudication (insufficient blood supply due to peripheral arterial disease)reulting in cramps in calves.
Muscle strain.
Firstly you should take short breaks of rest while doing work.
You should apply ice on affected areas.
You should elevate your legs while sleeping.
You should avoid long hours standing.
You should take Vitamin E (400) daily at night for relief.
You should do stretching of your legs daily.
As you have bruised your calf so you should apply anti inflammatory ointment on it.
It 'll cure after few days but if it'll persist or cause any other problem then I advice you to consult your nearby doctor for further evaluation and management.
I suggest you to keep controlling your Hypertension by regular Blood Pressure check-ups and continue your medication.
You should undergo Lipid Panel to rule out intermittent claudication.
You should eat fruits and vegetables and avoid smoking , caffeine and alcohol consumption.
I hope it'll help you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not any medications, I do all of your suggestions, this calf pain was a first time thing, just the right back of the calf, about 3 inches below the back of my knee, after rubbing the large calf muscle,the resulting big red blotchy area occured below the big calf muscle on the back of my leg, why and what was it???? I have no more pain, just a big yellow red blotch. I take vitamin e and potassium, and coral calcium.
I think as you have scratched ,it may cause following possibilties-
Localised infection.
DVT-There may be no symptoms referrable to the location of the DVT, but the classical symptoms of DVT include pain, swelling and redness of the leg and dilation of the surface veins
Cellullitis-characterized by redness, swelling, warmth, and pain or tenderness.
Insect Bite .
I advice you to consult your nearby doctor for further evaluation and management.

I hope it 'll help you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This did not help me, too general, I must go.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This did not help me, too general, I must go. No help.