Barry
Barry, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified
544817

Multiple cysts in multiple places! Ovaries, breasts, kidney

Customer Question

Multiple cysts in multiple places! Ovaries, breasts, kidney cysts. Been dx with pernicious anemia, gastritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, polycystic ovarian disease, etc. Vision getting worse, abd pain worse, muscle pain worse, migrains worse, fatigue killing me! Tired of being treated like a head case! I'm 35 with 4 children!! Been ill for 5 years now. Can all of these dx be linked to a single cause? What can cause all of these symptoms?
Category: Health
Expert:  Barry replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What sex (are you) / (is the person you're asking about)?
-How old (are you) / (is the person you're asking about)?
-What (have you) / (has the person you're asking about) already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've already tried everything I can to fix or get a diagnosis for these problems. I've been to OB/Gyn's, gastroenterologists, rheumatologists, endocrynologists, etc. Every different doctor brings a different diagnosis to the list and so does every test! I'm tired, in pain all the time and can't do this anymore!
Expert:  Barry replied 6 years ago.
Hello

Did they do MRI Of the Brain to check for Pituitary Adenoma?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO! They haven't checked for that! Should that be a concern? They haven't scanned my head/brain for anything...just the rest of me! I do have frequent, dibilitating headaches...is that a symptom? What are the other symptoms?
Expert:  Barry replied 6 years ago.
Pituitary gland is in the brain and produces several different 'central command' hormones from the brain.

After five years it is unlikely that they will give you a single diagnosis for your problems.

Nonetheless it seems like a brain MRI might reveal something. Polycystic Ovary Disease is a very specific diagnosis syndrome, but if I am correct then you do not fit the bill since you were able to have children.

Multiple cysts in the body is not than uncommon, unless there are dozens of them.

Hope this helps some

The pituitary gland is the master gland of the body because it controls most of the body's endocrine functions by means of the hypothalamic-pituitary axis. The anterior lobe of the pituitary gland secretes 6 hormones: thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), previously adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), leuteinizing hormone (LH), growth hormone (GH), and prolactin (PRL). The posterior pituitary gland secretes vasopressin and oxytocin.

Pituitary adenomas are almost always benign with no malignant potential. In general, pituitary lesions can be subdivided into nonsecretory and secretory tumors of the pituitary gland, other intrasellar tumors, and parasellar tumors. The last group occurs in the vicinity of the sellar turcica and can mimic the pituitary tumors in terms of the symptoms they cause. Nonsecretory pituitary tumors are called null-cell tumors. Small null-cell tumors measuring a few millimeters are common and found in up to 25% of autopsied pituitary glands. These may grow slowly, destroying normal pituitary function (hypopituitarism), or they may compress nearby structures and cause neurologic problems.

Functioning pituitary adenomas can be clinically classified by means of the hormone they elaborate. These tumors become symptomatic because they secrete hormones, and they are less likely than like null-cell tumors to become large enough to compress adjacent structures. As pituitary tumors grow, destruction of normal pituitary tissue results in various hormonal deficiencies. In rare cases, these tumors may spontaneously hemorrhage or become infarcted. The pressure they exert on nearby structures can produce double vision and facial numbness. The optic chiasm is directly above the pituitary gland, and upward growth of pituitary tumors frequently causes progressive visual loss. This visual loss typically begins from each side of the field of vision and leads to tunnel vision and then blindness.

Barry, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had all my children before age 21. My first I had when I was 16, long before any symptoms began. The first surgery I had was at age 25 and they removed 25 cysts! Dr. said it was the worst case he had ever treated. He opted not to remove my ovaries due to my age...the cysts came back and began to rupture caused PAIN and infection then had 2nd surgery. Last year I bagan getting cysts on my breasts and this year on my kidneys. I have severe gastritis, constant muscle spasms all over my body (some in my face by my eye and the eye itself). Bone pain....(feels like they are on FIRE), Pernicious anemia. Family history of ovarian cancer (mother age 27), grandmal epileptic sezures (sister and maternal grandfather), kidney disease, heart disease (mother). You have been very helpful and I will mention this to my doctor. Thank you for your time. It is nice to have a different point of view and oppinion on this matter. Does this all really seem to fit?
Expert:  Barry replied 6 years ago.
Hi <br /> <br />You might ask for a ca125 blood test, although many doctors do not like to run that test as a diagnostic test, for ovarian cancer, due to the family history. <br /> <br />Your case may be one for a University Center,,also there is a test called a Schilling test if you have pernicious anemia.

Also make sure that an MD opthalmologist checks your eyes due to worsening vision.