Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD (Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
11532963

I have a small painful lump on the underside of my foot in

I have a small painful lump on the underside of my foot in the skin, feels like a bb stuck under the skin, no open wound. Hurts to walk on it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. By the way, it would help me to know:

1. How long have you had this lump?
  2. Where exactly on the foot is this lump situated? Is it over pressure points?
  3. Are the normal skin markings retained over the bump or is the surafce showing irregularities?
  4. Is it more painful on direct pressure or when squeezed between the thumb and forefinger?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that I can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have had the lump for 3 weeks its small.
Its located on the bottom front so walking is irritating. it is over a pressure point.
The surface has redness and a very small bump. no hole or cut.
definately hurts when theres any pressure.
Lokks like it could be some form of pimple but its a hard little bb under the skin.

What you have is a corn or plantar wart. Both causes the symptoms you have described, the differentiation come from the specific queries I asked for:

1. Corn usually has the overlying skin structure retained partially , while skin overlying wart is not normal.

2. Corn is more painful on direct pressure, while wart is more painful on squeezing from sides

3. Cutting the superficial portion leaves bleeding spots in wart, while it leaves a whirl pattern or pit in case of corn.

4. Both may be found on pressure points, while warts can occur on other non - pressure bearing areas as well.

The treatment is same for both:

1. Apply an OTC Salicylic acid plaster for 3 days, then pair off the top, macerated part with a blade carefully.
  2. After the first pairing the plaster is replaced with salicylic acid/lactic acid solution at bed time and the pairing done every 3rd to 4th day.
  3. If not very deep, most corns and warts will be removed in 2-3 weeks.
  4. This is the preferable method than excising the lesion at a go, which could make the heel painful for months to come.
  5. Cryo, electrocautery and lasers are other options for plantar warts.
  6. To reduce the chances of recurrence, Corn Cushion rings are used for a few months after removal , so that the pressure points are protected against further pressure and recurrence of corns.

_____________________________________________________

My answer is for your personal information only. It should not be used as a substitute to visiting your doctor. If you feel that I have addressed your question adequately, please click the ACCEPT button. Any bonus/feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.

Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS; MD (Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)