Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics

With regards XXXXX XXXXX Xanax vs. Klonopin, I have beenon Xanax

Customer Question

With regards XXXXX XXXXX Xanax vs. Klonopin, I have beenon Xanax for over 10 years off and on. Klonopin makes me kind of dizzy, the 1 mg. Brand works best of Xanax but can't afford it. I think I should stay on Xanax generic 2 mg. I guess I cam addicted but I went to my primary who I've gone since 88 and she said it has worked for you for years and as long as you are not abusing it which I don't, it works, use it. Also, do I have to pay the 9 dollars each month? I don't want to do that. This is a once a thing question I think.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.
Hi jill

For which reason you are taking xanax?

I mean , what was the diagnosis?

Which Antidepressant you have taken and for how long? \What was the responce?

And it seems you know quiet a lot , please tell what exactly you want to know?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have been on Xanax for years, at least 10 years or more, I am 59 years old, anxiety mostly was a medical transcriber for over thirty years so know a bit about medical drugs, interactions, etc. But I only used to take it prn at night to take the edge off. But I would say the last year or more, my primary wouldn't prescribe it anymore so went to two psychiatrists who put me on I remember one Wellbutin, can't remember the other ones, I would if I saw the names but they said I had to take the xanax with this medication. So I got hooked on the xanax every day which I never had before. And after a month, nothing happened and they said it takes time for the anti depressants to kick in so keep going, I didn't. Went to another psychiatrist, same thing, anti depresssant, I am not depressed at all, very upbeat person but alot of stress and worry. My dad just died at the young age of 100, he was a physician too! Mom is 89 and has been in a nursing home almost three years with end stage dementia/Alzeimer's, which has caused me such pain, awaiting for her to die, she can't move any part of her extremities. Sad. Anyway, now I go to another psychiatrist. He said try the Kalopin which made me feel weird. 1 mg. twice a day. I took it for a few days, didn't take the edge off at all, made me feel just weird, uneasy. Went back to Xanax, am taking the generic again cause I can't afford the Brand which was almost $200 with my insurance for 60! $2 generic! So I deal withi the generic. He's a good doctor, I like him alot onlyk he's into God and spiritual stuff and we fight about it, its kinda funny. But I don't abuse us, I never go for refills before its time, never more than 2 a day. Sometimes nto even two a day. I count each pill. I went back to my old primary out of network last week to talk to his nurse practitioner who I love and I cried thinking I am an addict. been going there since 1988!! She reassured me I am not and if xanax works for me, use it. So I felt much better. My doctor agrees too. I just wanted to know the difference in the Kalonopin and she said its just more long lasting, but I don't like it.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.
Hi jill

I am sorry to hear about your father and mother disease,I must say you are a brave person who seems to be able to cope well with the stressors.

According to you ,as you explainedm, you are suffering from Anxiety and not depression and you don't want a Antidepressant.
But let me tell you Antidepressants specially SSRIs class of antidepressants are the first choice in treating Anxiety disorders.
Usually both the antidepressants and benzodiazepine such as xanax or klonopin are started together and then after some time Benzodiazepines are tapered and stopped and antidepressant is continued--reason is drugs such as xanax are habit forming.

Usual trend is to stop the xanax/klonopin after 3 to 4 weeks.

Both xanax and klonopin are Bebzodiazepines but xanax is short acting and klonopin is long acting as well as less habit forming clinically.

You are taking this drug in low dosage.

But in my view, you can consult a good Psychiatrist again regarding usefulness of antidepressants in your case and the possibility of slowly tapering and stopping the xanax.

Although I have seen patients taking drugs such as Klonopin for years in low doses but I personally prefer to use antidepressants in such case with tapering and stopping the benzodiazepines.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This will probably be the last one. Do I have to pay $9 a month from now on or do I just pay it when I contact your company? I called another psychiatrist, interesting, they too only spend 10 to 15 minutes per patient, they are there for drug recommendations. A psychologist will spend 45 minutes with you to talk over your problem but they can't prescribe medication. That's dumb. So I'm sticking with who I have. The anti depressants did nothing, I stayed on one for six weeks, one amost two months, nothing, couldn't sleep, dry mouth. Sticking to my Xanax but thanks for the help.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.
Hi jill

It appears to me that your experience with the Antidepressants have not been good,but there are several types of antidepressants available and some of these drugs initially have side effects (remember not all of them) and you can work out with your doctor to find out which one suits you the best.
There are some antidepressants which cause very good sedation such as Mirtazapine and Paroxetine along with a good anti anxiety action and you can also discuss with doctor about there utility in your case.
If you have any query in your mind please let me know.