Victoria
Victoria, Chiropractor
Experience:  25 years overall experience in health care from hospital-based intensive care to private practice
9768737

I had an xray on my neck which showed that I have muscle spasms.

I had an xray on my neck which showed that I have muscle spasms. Many times during the month, I have severe tightness at the base of my skull, which causes a migraine like headache with light sensitivity, naseau, and severe pain. Although this headache is at least 5-8 times a month, I have a dull, throbbing headache everyday. I have taken ibuprofen and aspirin, which I was told not to take because I have itp; I have also taken esgic, but the headaches are still hear. What is the cause of this headache? I have been in several rear-end collisions over the past 16 years.
Category: Health
Expert:  Victoria replied 8 years ago.

I would suggest that you consult a neurologist about your headaches. A throbbing quality suggests a migraine type headache and chronic headaches should be evaluated for medications that will help minimize the number of headaches you develop, rather than trying to treat each headache. There are actually several different types of migraines and several different types of headaches in general. It is not usual for tension and migraine headaches to co-exist. A series of massages my help break the cycle of tension headaches, but persistent headaches that are interfering significantly in your life are best worked up by a thorough neurologist, preferably one with a special interest in migraines which tend to be underdiagnosed.

Here is an overview of headaches: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/headache.htm

Here is an overview more migraine focused: http://migrainesymptoms-guide.com/different-types-of-migraine-headaches/

You did not mention whether you were male or female, but since migraines are particularly common in females I will also include this link:
http://women.webmd.com/guide/migraines-headaches-migraines

You especially need to get help, given that you have ITP and need to be careful with what medications you take. Muscle spasm as diagnosed by x-ray means there is a straightening of the normal cervical curve. Muscle tightness can become self-perpetuating phenomenon and may very well be a reflection of chronicity secondary to several accidents that caused trauma to the neck and muscle guarding that one point was appropriate, but the muscle tone never completely "normalized". Or it may reflect ongoing instability in which the muscles are still in a "protective mode". YOu should get checked out and maybe do a headache "diary", looking to see if there are any particular triggers associated with your headaches. Also remember pain begets anxiety and anxiety begets pain - a vicious cycle gets set up.

Hopefully you have found this information helpful. If so, please remember to click the green accept button so that I may get credit for my work. Your taking the time to leave positive feedback would also be greatly appreciated. Of course, bonuses are the ultimate reward and considered very special indeed! Thank you.

Warmest regards,

vj