Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics

When a person experiencing Schitz or Phycosis has an auditory

Customer Question

When a person experiencing Schitz or Phycosis has an auditory hallucination, are they actually hearing voices or are they just hearing thoughts in their head?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Strong RN MS replied 8 years ago.
The brain is extremely complex, as I am sure you appreciate. What one perceives is real to that person. Somehow in psychosis, the brain chemistry is changed such that the usual stimuli from the environment are not to what the brain is responding, but is in fact, having its own neurobiological processes that are interpreted as real, or actual perceptions, when in fact they cannot be verified by another person. It is my understanding that auditory hallucination are not just thoughts, but actual altered neurobiology of the brain. The person is hearing voices or other sounds but is usually not aware that the brain is not functioning normally.
I hope this answers your question. Thank you for writing.
Please leave feedback. Kind regards,
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Auditory hallucinations as Susan has mentioned are perceived by patients as real.You may see such patients talking to them (as appearing to us although they are talking to the voices they are hearing ).For them it is similar to a normal person hearing a voice.

Auditory hallucinations may be of various types

Elementary hallucinations - patient hear some music or voice which he can't distinguish

Complex hallucinations
Patients may hear voice of one person only directly commanding or talking to him,he may hear voices of two or more persons discussing about him, he may also hear several persons talking about him.

Thought echo or hearing of ones own thought loud enough is another characteristic feature of Schizophrenia in which patient hear his or her own thought loud enough in surrounding.

I hope it helps.

If you have any other question, please tell me.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So is thought echo actually hearing your thoughts like you are hearing someone else speak?
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Yes you can say that,but it is patients own thoughts which he hears through his ears!

Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics