Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

What do I do for an allergic reaction to the surgical tape

What do I do for an allergic reaction to the surgical tape tht was used during a recent surgery? The tape was used to hold the incision together and has now left me with a red and very itchy area.
Unfortunately, having a skin reaction to tape is a very common thing, but will eventually improve on its own, over a few days.

Generally there is nothing that can be done that will significantly quicken the resolution of this "dermatitis", but the following will help you feel better:

1. Washing the area (gently, since it is still near the healing surgical incision) with soap and water.
2. Calamine lotion to relieve itching
3. Oral benadryl (as you have done)
4. Hydrocortisone cream to help relieve inflammation.

5. You can try other antihistamines (Zyrtec, Claritin) to see if they help.

But be reassured that this will improve on its own, and there isn't much that can be done (besides oral steroid medications by prescription for severe reactions).

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/contact_dermatitis/page7_em.htm#Self-Care%20at%20Home
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX been using a 1% hydrocortisone cream(over the counter, coraid). would a prescription cream be more effective?
A prescription cream may be more effective (e.g. it will be a higher concentration of the steroid in the cream.)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks so much for the quick, professional response. I think it would be helpful to allow for follow up questions provided they are connected to the original problem and diagnosis/evaluation.