Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

My two middle fingers on my right hand go numb when I lay down

My two middle fingers on my right hand go numb when I lay down on my left side. It has begun to keep me up at night.
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
wat type of work you do...age abd sex.. does it get better with hand shaking?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm a 35 year old female it does get better when I shake my hand but it does take some time for it go away.
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
ok.. it seems that you have carpel tunnel syndrome. it is caused by entrapment of median nerve in the hand.. usually effetcs the 3.5 finger from the thumb but can also cause complete numbness in the 4 th finger. causes include diabeties, hypothyroid, acromegaly, pregnancy etc. treatment consists of low salt diet, splint at night and a water pill( thiazide diuretics. diagnosis is mostly clinical but if there is weakness of the hand muscle EMG is done . surgery is the last resort. please see your doctor for confirmation n exam.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/DS00326
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is it normal for the pain to only apear at night when I try to sleep on my left side?
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
yes .. pain is usually at night. it has to do with the flexion( bending of the hand ) which increases pressure on the nerve. Thats why splint works because it keeps the hand straight.