Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

42 yr old female. Having deep pain on right side in hip area

Customer Question

42 yr old female. Having deep pain on right side in hip area running down into lower back. Has been consistent for 3 days. What could pain be from?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Greetings

How severe is the pain on a scale of 0-10? Are your hip or back movements painful? Do you have any numbness or tingling in thigh? Any history of diabetes? Are you on any medications?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Arun, Pain right now is about a 7 and that is if I don't move around much. There is definate sharp pains when I move around. I have no numbness or tingling in my thigh. Father is diabetic and I have been tested but never came back posetive. The only meds I have take are ibuprofin.

Thanks for your answer.

This first suspicion is pinched nerves in the back which is causing deep pain in the thigh. This can be because of the degenerative disc disease or bone spurs which may pinch the nerves. Read the resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pinched-nerve/DS00879

Treatment is anti-inflammatory analgesics, physical therapy, deep electrotherapy, spinal braces etc.

The other differential diagnosis can be trochanteric bursitis, hip osteoarthritis which have the same management principles.

You need to see an orthopedist for the evaluation and investigations like x-ray of lower back and hip, MRI etc.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have never had this pain before. It feels very deep like an inside organ is hurting. It definately doesn't feel like the bone. Could this area be the appendix or kidney.

A ureteric stone or urinary tract infection may occasionally radiate to the thigh from the back. Usually it accompanies urinary symptoms like burning urination, increased frequency etc.

The appendix pain will have accompanied symptoms like bloating, nausea, loss of appetite, pain on the right lower quadrant of the abdomen with tenderness.

A physical examination is essential in most of the instances to confirm the diagnosis. With your severe pain, it would be advisable to visit an urgent care clinic or ER.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance. I have no pain in my thigh or lower abdoman. It is directly where your hand would be if you put it on your hip as well as the lower right side of my back right above my behind. I do have Nausia tonight for the first time, which concerned me and wasn't sure if this could be appendix. I plan to try and make it thru the night and go to the ER first thing in the morning. Thanks you again for your assistance.

You are welcome.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun