Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

bite my tongue wont stop bleeding

bite my tongue won't stop bleeding
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Greetings.

How long has been bleeding? Do you have family history of bleeding disorders? Is the bleeding profuse or trickling? Any significant past medical history?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tounge was bit about 2 hours ago. There is a cracked tooth that bit down on the tounge We have been applying pressure for about a hour with paper towels. Their is no history of bleeding diorder. The blood is soaking the towel about once every 10 mins. The subject just got out of the hospital yesterday and was treated for dehyration pancreas trouble and possible diabetes.They put in about 5 liters of sailine in three days and the blood sugar was 38 4 hours ago I am new to blood sugar the subject was just possibly dianosed with these aliments and I have no idea if any of this would make his blood thin or make him bleed more that usual

Pancreatic trouble (was it pancreatitis? which can affect the coagulation mechanism) and diabetes can cause some bleeding and clotting aberrations and complicate the situation. The best way to stop the bleeding at home is firm pressure by fingers and thumb for around 5-7 minutes by watch. It should stop the bleeding by making a clot at the area. Don't wipe down the area for some time as it dislodges the clot which is very essential mechanism of stoppage of blood. Just observe it. If there is still bleeding, you can repeat the pressure maneuver for again for say 10 minutes. If the bleeding does not stop, there in not much which can be done at home, and a trip to ER is essential.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will blowing air to dry out the mouth help? He thinks it is slowing down, if it does clot should he put anything on it perioxide, salt?

No, none of the measures you have mentioned can help in the stoppage of bleeding or help in making a clot (which occludes the blood vessel which is oozing). Pinching the area or pressure on the area is the most effective way.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine